Berlin: Oktoberfest, the Reichstag, and Kreuzberg

2:36 PM Melissa 1 Comments

This past week, I went to Oktoberfest at Alexanderplatz (Berlin), laid out on the grass and read near the Reichstag, and went on a local tour of Kreuzberg.

Oktoberfest is a Bavarian beer festival that is originally from Munich. Today it is celebrated in cities all over the world, such as Berlin. The culture around drinking is much more open in Germany than in America. It was a pleasure to see the community come together and enjoy themselves in a healthy environment as people young and old drank, ate, sang and danced the night away at Alexanderplatz. Also, it was fun to see traditional Bavarian clothes, such as the lederhosen and dirnl. One of my favorite memories of the night was at the dance hall where young and older Germans were shaking it and happily singing German songs.
A couple of days later, my classmates, Roxanne, Libby, and Anna and I, went to relax and did some reading at the huge lawn by the Reichstag. When I was there, the sun was out and the sky was as blue as can be, so naturally many Berliners and vacationers were also enjoying their time outside. The Reichstag is where Germany’s parliament meets and was rebuilt after the reunification of Germany. The Reichstag was completed in 1999. One highlight of the building is a glass and metal dome, which gives viewers a 360-degree view of Berlin. How amazing is that? I am so excited to go explore it on a class field trip!
  The big, flat lawn in front of the Reichstag was lined with trees and shrubs on the edge. People were playing frisbee, picnicking and laying on the grass. Even though I am sightseeing in Berlin, it felt so good to just take my time and relax because usually I want to fit in a bunch of activities in one day. I don’t always take time to really appreciate what I see. I got to people-watch, read, and soak up the sun. Ohhhh, yeah.
On Tuesday, the class went on a tour of Kreuzberg. This was definitely one of my favorite things I have done so far. Manuela, our tour guide, was engaging, thoughtful and knowledgeable. In our neighborhood, She showed us the little things, such as the “stumbling stones” and symbols of where the Berlin Wall used to be. Even though we pass by them daily, some of us may not have noticed it until she pointed them out. The tour was so meaningful because the memorials, art and buildings we saw speak to Berlin’s history and its people. Thanks Manuela, John and Nara for such an incredible tour!

You Might Also Like

1 comment :

  1. This is nice, Melissa! Start seeing if you can find themes or little corners that interest you for your project ...

    ReplyDelete