Welcome To Berlin

11:17 AM Melissa 0 Comments



I am studying abroad in Berlin at the Humbolt University! I am so fortunate to have this opportunity and I want to make the most out of my stay. There is about 11 weeks to explore the city, get to know the locals, and have a better understanding of its history. So many historical events and sites, including the Cold War, WWI, WWII, Berlin Wall, and Reichstag, were here.




Yesterday, I went to Mauerpark Flea Market. What a cool place to be! There were numerous stalls selling antiques, jewelry, screen-printed shirts, posters, photographs, and food. Next to the market was a field filled with around 400 people. They were relaxing on the grass, grilling food, and listening to live karaoke. I LOVED everything about the karaoke: the singer, the giant crowd, and the song (Backstreet Boys "Everybody"). It was AMAZING!


To get back home, we walked to U-bahn Bernaurstrasse. I was surprised to see the huge poster and some rods sticking straight up on the street. As I passed by I asked one of my classmates if she thought the Berlin Wall used to be there. The next day, I read Brian Ladd's The Ghosts of Berlin. Right in the book was a description of it. How perfect is that? The German Historical Museum created a memorial for the Berlin Wall. The Wall was constructed on August 13, 1961 and part of it ran along some Eastern apartments on Bernaurstrasse. The apartments faced a Western Berlin street and West Berliners helped Eastern Berliners over the wall as Eastern guards tried to prevent it. Days later, the apartment windows were sealed shut. Another significance of the Bernaurstrasse is that in 1964, a famous underground tunnel went pass the street and helped 57 people escape.

You Might Also Like

0 comments :