University of Washington Graduation

3:35 AM Melissa 0 Comments

Graduation has been looming over my mind for the past two years. At times, it brought fear and anxiety. At other times, it brought happiness and hope. The ceremonies were a compilation of days to celebrate and share the end of a chapter and the start a new one. It was especially heartwarming as family and friends helped commemorate graduation with me.

Being a pretty emotional person, I was overwhelmed thinking about my graduation dinner speech. So many good people were there through good times and bad. They supported me from the time I was in my mother’s womb to more recent years in college. They shared their wisdom and challenges, their mistakes and triumphs, and their love and kindness. The quote “It takes a village to raise a child” rang truer that day than any other day.

I am incredibly blessed and grateful to have such a strong support system. From my cousin Roni’s advice on confidence to the years my mother worked 80-hour weeks so I can have a better life, family and friends continue to shape me into a better human being. Thank you to each and every one of you. A special shout-out to my mother, a phenomenal role model. She has been and continues to be an unlimited source of love, knowledge, inspiration, everything and more.

Throughout the years, here are some advice and lessons I've learned:
* You are NOT invincible.
* If you are going through a difficult time, tell someone you trust and you will be glad you did.
* If you don’t get hired, why not bring out that entrepreneurial spirit.
* Travel. Rather than staying in your own bubble, explore the world and meet it’s citizens.
* Inspiration can come from unexpected people.
* For job interviews, be the best version of you.
* Those you love may not always be there due to illness or death, so cherish the time you have with them now.

What are some tips you would like to share? I would love to hear them!

You Might Also Like

0 comments :